OrbShield problems in Windows 10

SpaceOrb motion sensor technology is the name of the game...
Forum rules
Sparky

OrbShield problems in Windows 10

Postby Sparky » September 11 2018, 20:59 PM

I know you probably aren't supporting the old orbshield, but maybe you can point me in the right direction? I've built two orbshields and they've worked wonderfully from Windows 7 up to Windows 10 64 bit. However, now in Windows 10, every few min. or so the cursor begins to drift and I lose control. sometimes using the reset button works for a few min. but it starts drifting again eventually. Do I need to upgrade the firmware or do I need to get the new orb9001? Just need a little help.... Thanks.

vputz

Re: OrbShield problems in Windows 10

Postby vputz » September 13 2018, 11:53 AM

Hey, Sparky--sorry it took me a couple days to notice this.

My worry on this sort of thing, if the reset button fixes it for a period, is that actually it may be the orb itself having trouble... the old Orbshield in particular didn't even interact with the reset button for any sort of settings (I think it might have come through as a button press but I don't even remember). If you get that behaviour consistently across both your Orbshields and multiple windows versions, I'm not sure what could be done.

If you happen to have multiple orbs, you could try that... the reason I'm skeptical of the Orbshield failing isn't that it's an awesome design (and thanks for taking the risk on such an early product!) but rather that it's getting in serial data from the Orb (nice and digital) and sending USB HID reports to Windows (again, nice and digital)... so there's really no component that would "drift"; if a component failed, the whole thing would more likely die completely, whereas the if the orb's analog light sensors were the fault, you'd see that drift, and the reset button would fix it at least momentarily as it recalibrated the center point.

Oh! I should check... when you said "reset button", did you mean on the orb or the Arduino? The above was written thinking it was the orb.

Return to “General Hardware”