The ultimate orb solution, at last.

SpaceOrb drivers and software discussions
Forum rules
vputz

Re: The ultimate orb solution, at last.

Postby vputz » February 10 2009, 2:55 AM

Heh--no worries, Ron; Monday nights and weekends are pretty much the only times I can work on this, so was just working within my schedule and wanted to get something done before the weekend (and this was bugging me, not having the sensitivity curves in). Take your time; we're mostly waiting on boards anyway.

So now the only things from HidSporb (the original windows driver) that aren't supported are multiple sensitivity curves (which just may not happen; it's doable but makes the program much bigger than it needs to be, so you can just choose one), gain per axis (so each axis can have its own gain) and the old "sniper mode" which damped all axes when a button was pressed for fine aiming. All those [i]can[/i] be added (and per-axis gain I may do because I can envision needing it more than the others); we'll see what people want.

countryatheart

Postby countryatheart » February 10 2009, 23:08 PM

Here are the results of the test I ran tonight Victor. I hope it is some help to you.

I will explain the axis results using Orb axis and control panel applet axis so hopefully you know what I’m talking about.

[quote="vputz"]Try it the way it is and play with the control panel applet; you should feel like the orb is "more accelerated" toward the edges.
[/quote]

This is with your software loaded and no changes to gain settings. I had to push hard on the on the Orb for these results.

TY - X Rotation bar moves up & down, Crosshair doesn’t move.

RZ - Y Rotation bar moves up & down, Crosshair doesn’t move.

TX - X & Y Axis Crosshair move in the correct direction, no Z axis or Rotation bars move.

RY - X Rotation bar moves up & down, Crosshair doesn’t. (Same as the Orb’s TY axis)

RX - R Rotation bar moves up & down, Crosshair doesn’t move.

TZ - X & Y Axis Crosshair move in the correct direction, Z axis also moves up and down.

[quote="vputz"]Then try changing the gain ( translator.set_gain(2) for example). The orb should feel a bit more lively. At gain 5, it's pretty jittery.
[/quote]

translator . set_gain ( 2 ) results:

Same axis and rotation values as above but with less pressure on the Orb (more lively). Next I tried the gain set to 3 and it was even better. Very well done Vic! I am leaving the gain set at 3 in HL2 to see how it acts.

[quote="vputz"]The Source engine does joystick configuration through .cfg files or at the console (you may have known this, but...). So you may have to fiddle with the developer console a bit. Try these commands (ignore the comments when typing them in of course):

Code: Select all

joystick 1

joy_advanced "1" // use advanced joystick options (allows for multiple axes)

joy_advaxisx 3 // x-axis controls GAME_AXIS_SIDE (strafing left and right)

joy_advaxisy 1 // y-axis controls GAME_AXIS_FORWARD (move forward and back)

joy_advaxisz 0 // z-axis is treated like a button

joy_advaxisr 4 // r-axis controls GAME_AXIS_PITCH (look up and down)

joy_advaxisu 0 // u-axis controls GAME_AXIS_YAW (look left and right)

joy_advaxisv 2

[/quote]

In the game the Orb responded very well (more lively) with the same axis that worked with your pervious BasicOrb files. I tried entering your commands (typed as on your post) into the developer console many times but they didn’t work, I never did mess with the developer console in games before so I must be entering the commands wrong. Here is an example of how I entered them.

joystick 1

joy_advanced “1” // use advanced joystick options

joy_advaxisx 3 // x-axis controls GAME_AXIS_SIDE

Is this correct? My commands look the same as yours. If not please explain what I am doing wrong.

Ron

vputz

Postby vputz » February 11 2009, 12:29 PM

Ah, sorry, Ron--I keep forgetting that I've been doing this over and over for a few weeks. When I casually said "ignore the comments when typing them in of course" I forgot that you may not know that // denotes a comment in the console.

So anyway, just leave out the // (that may or may not be confusing the console), so just

joystick 1

joy_advanced "1"

joy_advaxisx 3

...etc. I *think* you will have to go through this to get all the axes working. If you just go through the regular options (Options/Mouse, check joystick) it just thinks you have a garden-variety x/y joystick; we have to tell it the joystick is "advanced" (joy_advanced "1") to get the game to realize we have six axes to deal with. Then we have to tell half-life 2 "okay, I want to map the joystick x axis to in-game axis 3, which I know from the intuitive documentation means strafing left and right" (sarcasm... but this is the "joy_advaxisx 3" command).

So when you get through all the "joy_advaxis[x,y,z,r,u,v]" commands and map them to the in-game axes, you SHOULD have a working orb except for TZ and RY, which don't have in-game meanings. I think.

Anyway, give it a shot--if it keeps giving you trouble I'll reinstall HL2 so we're on the same page. At least we're at the "sharing config files" point.

countryatheart

Postby countryatheart » February 11 2009, 21:15 PM

[quote="vputz"]Ah, sorry, Ron--I keep forgetting that I've been doing this over and over for a few weeks. When I casually said "ignore the comments when typing them in of course" I forgot that you may not know that // denotes a comment in the console.[/quote]

Confusing, hole in wall getting bigger, I think I pounded 2 screws loose in head now. I hate-it when that happens! :lol: Sorry Victor that I am soooo ignorant with your commands. For your documentation, when you said to “ignore” the comments, I thought you were talking about (allows for multiple axis) etc. The comments you wrote with slashes and underscores sure looked like commands to me.

I entered your commands in the game console and the following is what the console spit-out after I tired the Orb in the game.

] joystick 1

] joy_advanced "1"

] joy_advaxisx 3

] joy_advaxisy 1

] joy_advaxisz 0

] joy_advaxisr 4

] joy_advaxisu 0

] joy_advaxisv 2

Dropped unnamed from server

Reason: Disconnect by user.

Found multiple fog controllers in the same level.

Loading game from SAVE\half-life-002.sav...

Spawn Server d1_trainstation_01

Begin loading faces (loads materials)

End loading faces (loads materials)

Loading game from //MOD/SAVE/d1_trainstation_01.HL1...

execing skill.cfg

Game started

Initializing renderer...

Dead end link: pod_player24

Dead end link: pod_track_R_07

Dead end link: pod_track_L_08

Failed to load sound "ambience/wind1.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository

couldn't exec userconfig.cfg

Wrote cfg/config.cfg

As you can see your commands didn’t work. I tried entering the commands 3 times with the same results. I have other games “Call of Duty 2, Quake 4, Fear and Return to Castle Wolfenstein”. If you would like I could install one of these games to test the OrbShield on.

Ron

vputz

Postby vputz » February 12 2009, 6:39 AM

Heh, fear not--I'll just reinstall HL2 ("no, don't make me play video games!") and play with it there.

vputz

Postby vputz » February 14 2009, 11:22 AM

Aw, man... sorry, Ron, I was forgetting the all-important "joyadvancedupdate", which makes all the axis mappings work. Silly me! There were some other important bits too.

So, here's the first "game config" for the orbshield; fitting that it's HL2 actually, as HL1 was the first thing I did with Hidsporb...
[code]
joystick 1
joy_advanced "1"
+jlook
joy_name "OrbShield SpaceOrb 360 Basic"
joy_advaxisx 3
joy_advaxisy 1
joy_advaxisz 0
joy_advaxisr 4
joy_advaxisu 0
joy_advaxisv 2

joy_forwardsensitivity -1.0
joy_forwardthreshold 0.05
joy_sidesensitivity 1.0
joy_sidethreshold 0.05
joy_pitchsensitivity -1.0
joy_pitchthreshold 0.05
joy_yawsensitivity -1.0
joy_yawthreshold 0.15

bind "JOY1" +use
bind "JOY2" +attack2
bind "JOY3" +attack
bind "JOY4" +jump
bind "AUX5" +zoom
bind "AUX6" +duck

joyadvancedupdate

[/code]

I'm also attaching this as "spaceorb.cfg", so instead of typing all that in, find your half-life 2 config directory; this is under Steam (so maybe "Program Files\Steam", but look for ".\Steam\steamapps\[USER NAME]\half-life 2\hl2\cfg"). For me that directory only contained config.cfg and valve.rc.

So copy "spaceorb.cfg" into it and then from the console, type

[code]
exec spaceorb
[/code]

It SHOULD apply all that stuff, and you'll have an orb working. Steam only uses four axes, so your "z" axis (vertical) and your lean axis won't do anything. Some Steam games allow you to map axes to commands with thresholds, but I don't know how. I [i]do[/i] know how using the OrbShield, so let me know if you want to play with that at any point, but let's get this working first.

See [url]http://supportwiki.steampowered.com/wiki/Guide:_Configuring_a_Joystick_or_Gamepad_for_Source[/url] for basic details, but here's the short form:

The threshold/sensitivity settings are exactly what they say--deadzone and sensitivity. So you can set the orb sensitivity with the Arduino program, or set the sensitivity in the game. Negative numbers invert the axis.

The +jlook is also important--without it, pitch control doesn't seem to work.

The "bind" commands at the bottom bind buttons to game actions. Right now this is a "basic orb" setup with only 6 buttons, and I haven't picked the best use I could think of, just wanted to get 6 buttons bound so that you could see how the buttons are JOY1-JOY4 and then AUX5, AUX6 (and if you're using chording, AUX7...). Change them as you wish!

Anyway, give that a go. AFTER Valentines' day stuff, so your wife doesn't bear any grudges! (grin)

countryatheart

Postby countryatheart » February 15 2009, 10:41 AM

[quote="vputz"]Aw, man... sorry, Ron, I was forgetting the all-important "joyadvancedupdate", which makes all the axis mappings work. Silly me! There were some other important bits too.[/quote]

No big deal Victor, I forget things also. If I would have remembered what a pain Steam is I would have installed a different game.

[quote="vputz"]I'm also attaching this as "spaceorb.cfg", so instead of typing all that in, find your half-life 2 config directory; this is under Steam (so maybe "Program Files\Steam", but look for ".\Steam\steamapps\[USER NAME]\half-life 2\hl2\cfg"). For me that directory only contained config.cfg and valve.rc.
[/quote]

I started working with your HL2 commands very late last night. I couldn’t find your “spaceorb.cfg” file on your post so I copied your commands into notepad and saved them as spaceorb.cfg in the Steam HL2 cfg folder as you instructed.

In the game the Orbs 4 axis and 6 buttons worked great. I did find it hard to aim with the cross hair so I changed the “translator.set_gain” value to 2 (was 3) but it didn’t help much. I’ll have to tweak the game console sensitivity values a bit to try and smooth out the movement.

I was surprised that each time I closed HL2 and restarted it I had to reenter the “exec spaceorb” command in the console. I guess the console doesn’t save any info after the game is closed.

[quote="vputz"]Anyway, give that a go. AFTER Valentines' day stuff, so your wife doesn't bear any grudges! (grin)[/quote]

My lady (not married :) ) had a great day yesterday, a lot of gifts, movie and dinner out so I should be good to work on the OrbShield for another day or 2. :D

vputz

Postby vputz » February 15 2009, 16:52 PM

[quote]I couldn’t find your “spaceorb.cfg” file on your post so I copied your commands into notepad and saved them as spaceorb.cfg in the Steam HL2 cfg folder as you instructed. [/quote]

Yep... as typical, I forgot to attach it and remembered halfway through the day. But you did exactly the right thing.

[quote] I did find it hard to aim with the cross hair so I changed the “translator.set_gain” value to 2 (was 3) but it didn’t help much. I’ll have to tweak the game console sensitivity values a bit to try and smooth out the movement.[/quote]

My single biggest problem with the orb: fine-grained control when you need it. That's one reason they had the cubic curve, so it was a bit flatter in the middle and you could just jam it around the outside edges for fast motion, but it was always a problem.

You can also play with the autoaim; I'm not sure if it's present in HL2, but some Steam games have

[quote]
joy_autoaimdampen

Specifies how much to scale user stick input when the gun is pointed at a valid target

Default “0”

joy_autoaimdampenrange

The stick range where autoaimdampen is applied

Default “0”
[/quote]

I'm not sure if HL2 has it. Well, I suppose if I wasn't so much of a slug, I would just check. So I will do that now.

Well, I have discovered one thing:

[quote]I was surprised that each time I closed HL2 and restarted it I had to reenter the “exec spaceorb” command in the console. I guess the console doesn’t save any info after the game is closed.[/quote]

More precisely, what seems to happen is that it executes "config.cfg" when you start up--the first line of which is "unbind all". So all you need to do is add "exec spaceorb" at the end of the "config.cfg" file and it should run on startup.

However, HL2 is not one of the games which supports "autoaimdampen" (I think some of the episodes may, though).

In the old HidSporb driver, I had a "precision mode" option, so that when a certain button was pressed and held, the gain went way down (to a negative value). This actually worked pretty well if you needed fine aiming, but of course it damped everything, so you couldn't move quickly and aim finely at the same time. I can implement that here if you want to try it.

That very problem (and I think the real reason the orb was never a big winner as a consumer product) is why I'm so excited about the SpaceBall 4000 in the left hand (for coarse movement and aiming) and the mouse on the right. Since the 4k has 12 buttons, you can do a lot of weapon selection, etc, but you still get the fine aiming of the mouse; it's a good combination.

Progress!

countryatheart

Postby countryatheart » February 15 2009, 23:40 PM

[quote="vputz"]My single biggest problem with the orb: fine-grained control when you need it. That's one reason they had the cubic curve, so it was a bit flatter in the middle and you could just jam it around the outside edges for fast motion, but it was always a problem.[/quote]

Thank you Victor for the info on the problem with Orbs fine-grained control, I played with the console sensitivity values today but it didn’t help any, your values worked the best. I did discover that with a little practice I could control the aim of the weapon.

[quote="vputz"]More precisely, what seems to happen is that it executes "config.cfg" when you start up--the first line of which is "unbind all". So all you need to do is add "exec spaceorb" at the end of the "config.cfg" file and it should run on startup.[/quote]

Last night I tried deleting the HL2 config.cfg and the game rewrote it on startup. Today I edited the HL2’s config.cfg with “exec spaceorb” and it worked! I hope everyone that loves HL2 and following our post is talking notes, they will be very happy with your OrbShield.

[quote="vputz"]That very problem (and I think the real reason the orb was never a big winner as a consumer product) is why I'm so excited about the SpaceBall 4000 in the left hand (for coarse movement and aiming) and the mouse on the right. Since the 4k has 12 buttons, you can do a lot of weapon selection, etc, but you still get the fine aiming of the mouse; it's a good combination.[/quote]

Ok, I have the feeling you are done testing the SpaceOrb and want to do testing on the SpaceBall 4000 FLX. I am willing to do that as long as you don’t want me to use the 4000 in one hand, CAD keyboard in the middle and the mouse in the other. That is multi-tasking my little brain and I already have smoke coming out my ears and ashes on my shoulders! :) I checked ebay tonight and almost purchased a SpaceBall 4000 FLX, I didn’t because I noticed they are made by different manufacturers, HP and IBM. The picture you have posted looks like HP SpaceBall 4000. Do the HP and the IBM work the same way? The IBM is cost less but I don’t know if it works as well as the HP.

vputz

Postby vputz » February 16 2009, 4:49 AM

[quote]I checked ebay tonight and almost purchased a SpaceBall 4000 FLX, I didn’t because I noticed they are made by different manufacturers, HP and IBM. The picture you have posted looks like HP SpaceBall 4000. Do the HP and the IBM work the same way? The IBM is cost less but I don’t know if it works as well as the HP.[/quote]

Heh, wasn't sure other folks would be interested, but if you're willing to give it a go, the extra feedback would be great (although I sure don't mind continuing to add things like "precision mode" buttons or playing with bindings).

As for the 4k models, I don't think branding matters (but it's important to note that I've read that the 5000 protocol is different from the 4000 protocol, and I can't find descriptions for the 5000... so if you do go this route, buy a 4000!)

There ARE differing models of 4k, though. The difference is the 4000 vs 4000flx; the FLX is more like the spaceorb, while the 4000 (no FLX) is very rigid (I have a 3003 non-FLX, and it's very firm). You get the same response out of each, but with the non-FLX, the ball doesn't really move. I personally like that a bit more, because the game reaction is all the feedback I need, but I can see why some wouldn't (this is just like the original F-16 stick, which was very rigid and didn't move--the rigid stick actually was more precise, but it drove pilots nuts because they expected it to move).

Most issues on the 4k with the orbshield are pretty well set; the only things which could use some discussion are

[list]
  • [*] Technically it is more precise than the SpaceOrb, but the HID report we're sending has a fixed range, so we are losing some information. For gaming, this should be fine.

• [*] I haven't really played with different refresh rates (and may not).

• [*] The orb has the sensitivity curve implemented in driver; the 4k has the sensitivity curve implemented in the device itself (and it can be changed). No code is in place to change it at the moment.

• [*] The 4000 can be attached to its stand in either right-handed or left-handed mode, which should be handleable with the mapping/polarity business, but I haven't tried it yet

• [*] The 4000 needs to send an "init string" to the hardware, which is easy to miss--and since we have to flip switches, I can't just send it on powerup; you need to flip the switch and then press button #1.
  • [/list]

But that's it so far. It does seem to work OK as a gaming device, though. You can also still try things like button/keyboard binding, axis/keyboard binding, and mouse binding, if you want; at some point I need to create sample sketches that show how it works.

I MAY try the way chording works on the orb. Right now it's fixed (the two "edge" buttons determine the page for the four "face" buttons) but it would be easy to do the chording like I do the other mappings, where you could map any bit pattern to a button--so you could choose what buttons to be pages, etc. Not sure how many people use chording; I think it helps alleviate the button shortage, but I don't know if anyone but me uses it.

countryatheart

Postby countryatheart » February 16 2009, 15:45 PM

[quote="vputz"](although I sure don't mind continuing to add things like "precision mode" buttons or playing with bindings)[/quote]

Are you talking about the 4000 or the Orb? If you want to continue working on the Orb, I am here to help anyway I can. I am sure everyone interested in your OrbShield would want the Orb working at its best.

[quote="vputz"]As for the 4k models, I don't think branding matters (but it's important to note that I've read that the 5000 protocol is different from the 4000 protocol, and I can't find descriptions for the 5000... so if you do go this route, buy a 4000!)[/quote]

Thank you for the info. The 4000 FLX sounds like it would be a great gaming device. I checked out the 4000’s on Ebay again today. No HP SpaceBalls this time, just SpaceTec and IBM SpaceBalls. I tied to order an IBM 4000 FLX but my account is locked (I haven’t used it in a long time) so I have to want for Ebay to call to verify my account. After I have my account unlocked I’ll order 4000 and we can play with it after you’re satisfied with the Orb.

[quote="vputz"]I MAY try the way chording works on the orb. Right now it's fixed (the two "edge" buttons determine the page for the four "face" buttons) but it would be easy to do the chording like I do the other mappings, where you could map any bit pattern to a button--so you could choose what buttons to be pages, etc. Not sure how many people use chording; I think it helps alleviate the button shortage, but I don't know if anyone but me uses it.[/quote]

Chording would be great if you decide to try it. I have used the chording with the Orb in the past when I played games and I am sure others have also. I think Jay had button chording in some of his game patches.

FlatlinerD

Re: The ultimate orb solution, at last. O M GOSH

Postby FlatlinerD » February 16 2009, 16:25 PM

i just have one thing to say. "OH MY GOSH" i was curoius if the birdmans lair was still up, so i googled it to see it was still up. outdated but still up. hehe anyway i stumbled on to this site totaly blown away by the fact that the orb is still talked about. making a long-ass story short, i would be very interested in whatever you create to make my orbs work again. i would like to purchase this device you created whenever it's ready. i'm so lost for words, i guess i'm just excited. i'll wait for a reply. and btw, i know a few people that would be interested.

vputz

Postby vputz » February 16 2009, 17:26 PM

[quote]
    Chording would be great if you decide to try it. I have used the chording with the Orb in the past when I played games and I am sure others have also. I think Jay had button chording in some of his game patches
    [/quote]

Oh, it's in place already actually. Um, lemmesee here... yep, go to BasicOrb (or whichever sketch you're running). Under the setup() function, just change the line

[code]translator.set_chording(false)[/code]

to, of course, say "true" instead. Should be chording just like the old version.

[quote]i'm so lost for words, i guess i'm just excited. i'll wait for a reply. and btw, i know a few people that would be interested.[/quote]

Good to hear! Well, as mentioned you can make one yourself like Ron (Countryatheart) did, or wait a bit... the first small batch should be back from manufacturing Any Day Now, and while those are pretty much spoken for (well, the five boards in the prototype batch--there will be a few more available for a second order and we can always make more) we should be able to reorder once I'm happy with the result. I think the first batch will probably be me, Jay, Ron, Turtleman, and a chap who donated to hidsporb, if they all want one, with extra boards to whoever wants 'em. I'll probably order enough parts to stuff them and then give people an option of soldering themselves or I can do it (also has the benefit of testing, but I think they should be pretty reliable); not 100% sure on total cost yet (in the area of $20, plus cost of the Arduino to plug them into, so it's not a truly trivial amount).

This is fun, though; we'll tack down a last couple of options (I'm still contemplating switching how chording works; won't make any difference to the end user though so maybe not) and then start the fun part of making game configurations. Kinda getting the hang of this controller thing, though, and it's good to see the orb and ball back in business; they just don't make game controllers like they did in the 90s.

...which explains why I just sprung for an ebay auction of a Thrustmaster fcs/wcs, flcs/tqs, and rudder pedals. Curious to see how far I can push this Arduino controller thing (heh). But that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

countryatheart

Postby countryatheart » February 17 2009, 22:51 PM

Chording Huh! I’ve been working the last 2 nights trying to make it work, what a pain in my…butt (and head)! :) Very long story but I’ll make this very short.

I changed the HidSorb chording to true and started HL2, opened options/keyboard and noticed the task I had binded to Joy1 & 2 were changed to mouse 1 &2. I tried to rebind the buttons but I couldn’t change them back. I also tried binding chording buttons to tasks, the only one I could bind was AUX8. In the game nothing worked right, axis barely moved and only 1 button worked (E - duck) that I have binded to button C in the spaceorb.cfg commands. I quit the game and checked the games config, the “exec spaceorb” command was missing so I reentered it, started the game and the axis worked great but only 1 button (the same one) worked. I then added the “AUX & Task” commands to the spaceorb.cfg and reentered the exec spaceorb command (I had to do this every time I quit the game using chording) to the games “config.cfg”. In the game the Orb acted as before, axis worked and only 1 button.

It has been a couple or years since I played with chording so my memory might be not that good these days. Now tell be if wrong about “chording”. Using chording the Orb till has the 6 button binds as normal and to chord you press a edge button (A or B) the same time you press one of the face button. That’s how I remember it.

After this chording thing gets worked out, would you like to work on a “precision button” for the Orb? You have talked about it in earlier post and I forget to respond. (Big head, little brain)

vputz

Postby vputz » February 18 2009, 3:17 AM

Sure, we'll try the precision-mode thing; it was bugging me that it's not in yet.

But let's get chording working first. Before HL2 configuration, what's it doing in the control panel applet?

[quote]Now tell be if wrong about “chording”. Using chording the Orb till has the 6 button binds as normal and to chord you press a edge button (A or B) the same time you press one of the face button. That’s how I remember it.[/quote]

Close... the four face buttons are the only buttons that register, and the edge buttons (A/B) determine the "page" for the four face buttons.

So with A/B unpressed, you get buttons 1-4; with A pressed, 2-8; with B pressed, 9-12; with A and B both pressed simultaneously, 13-16.

Usual disclaimer: "working fine over here!" :D -- but what's the CP applet showing on your end with chording?

Return to “Spaceware Software”